Thursday, October 5, 2017

Grindstone Pre-Race Thoughts

Last year, I ran Grindstone because I needed a qualifier for Western States and Hardrock. This year, I don't need a qualifier. Instead, I'm running Grindstone because I want to improve on last year's results. I figure it's best if I write this all down so I can keep track of my various goals.

This picture adequately describes my mental state near the end of the race


A Goals

  1. Finish under 24 hours: With better training and better weather in the forecast, this just might be possible
  2. Keep a positive mentality. This also means being nicer to my pacer during the race, regardless of how grumpy I feel... (sorry Alex!)
  3. Run a negative split: The first half is a net uphill. The second half is a net downhill (and 2 miles shorter). If my legs survive until the end, I might just have a chance.

B Goals

  1. Beat last year's time: I ran a weak last 20 miles last year. This should be easy to improve upon.
  2. Be nice to Alex: Seriously. She's doing me a favor. Even if I have a low point, there's no reason to be a dick, no matter how bad my legs hurt.
  3. Run an even-ish split: If my second half is within an hour of my first half, we'll call this one done.

C Goals

  1. Finish the race: I've never DNF'ed a 100 miler and I'm not about to start now. Finish the damn thing!
  2. Don't end up single: If I'm going to piss off my wife/pacer, I should at least mitigate the damage. Maybe I should buy her some flowers in advance...
  3. Finish the damn race: I'm putting this again because it bears repeating. If the bone ain't showing, keep on going!
Happy trails, and good luck to my fellow Grindstoners!

1 comment: